Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I want to gloss my white xbox 360, what paints..etc..?

I want to get that real glossy look of the new Nintendo DS lites as well as the playstation 3 look. I don't like the ';old dell computer'; look of the console out of the box, doesn't really go well with anything in the room.





thing is, i've never painted a thing in my life. besides the airvents what else should i tape off, what type of paint should I use to get the real reflective gloss look of the above consoles. generic gloss paint??I want to gloss my white xbox 360, what paints..etc..?
You might check out some sites dealing with ';case mods'; to get ideas. Neatorama is really cool, and I think they have an Xbox section even to look at (and laugh at some of them).





Your best bets as far as paints are going to be those designed to go on plastic, check the Krylon paints at your local home center or the model paints at ****Mart or your hobby stores. They stick better and keep a gloss. I think I usually see a clear top-coat in the model paints, if you are just wanting to gloss it that would probably do it. You may need several coats, and allow a little extra drying time than what it says.





Spray paints do best in a lot of light, short strokes. Take your time, don't rush or you'll get drips. Spray is best for a beginner, brushes take a lot more work and if you're just glossing you don't need the extra finesse from a brush. Tape everything off, then do one side at a time (don't worry about a little overspray, it will blend, if there are drips wipe them off quickly and redo that part later). Let it dry thoroughly before you turn and do the next side. Yes, the can says ';well ventilated area'; but what you might want to do is get a big clean plastic box (like the big storage bins) and throw it over while it dries - it's amazing how much pollen, dust, dirt, etcetera suddenly finds its' way toward your newly painted object. That's why I say give extra drying time, but you'll be much happier with the finished product. Patience, patience, patience.





Rock on! Geeks rule!I want to gloss my white xbox 360, what paints..etc..?
Hey, most non-geeks don't even think about modifying their electronics, so even if you don't think you are, you're at least an honorary geek....





:) It takes one... Report Abuse

My son works at a car dealership. You can go to the paint and boy shop and SOME shops will do it, some will not. So.. just call around to see who will. My son had has painted and the charged him $ 40.
don't do it unless you are sure you know what you're doing
  • Why is my cat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    website hosting