Monday, June 21, 2010

How can I gloss up my paint?

I love Myles of Style on HGTV and there was an episode where she took plain old flat paint and painted the entire wall, then she put up painters tape (to make stripes) and used some kind of clear gloss paint. When it dried and she took down the tape it left this nice shiny design.. but not over the top.. I love that look. Any ideas??How can I gloss up my paint?
Use acrylic polyurethane...Minwax makes a good one.





http://www.reillypainting.com/How can I gloss up my paint?
You can get many different faux finish paints at Lowe's, Home Depot, True Value, Etc.





I just used a mirror finish top coat that I bought at Lowe's. It was a major pain to get the shinny part to look smooth and not streaked, but worth the effort.
I know that Behr , Glidden and Ralph Lauren have glazes that is used in faux painting techniques. I am sure there are other brands This product will add a sheen to your paint finish. She probably used the Pearl glaze.


Go to //hgtv.com/mylesofstyle and look for the episode. There are product guides with the episodes.


Have fun!
the answer is pretty low tech. All you do is put water based polyurethane over your paint at whatever gloss level you want and it works great. It will go on milky white but dry crystal clear. My dining room is done just that way. Looks great.
I love HGTV, google hgtv/myles of style and see if you can look up the episode.
  • Why is my cat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    website hosting