Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I am looking to paint a motorcycle frame. I am going to use DuPont high temp engine paint. low gloss black?

what my question is, what is the procedure i should follow. i am gonna use a spray paint high temp engine dupont low gloss black paint. the procedure that i am wondering about is: sanding the frame nad then applying. shouldi sand then apply then sand again and then apply again? i have never done something like this so any help from bike painters etc would be very helpful!!I am looking to paint a motorcycle frame. I am going to use DuPont high temp engine paint. low gloss black?
High temp paint normally requires heat to set up.


Are you going to bake the frame? Or just use a heat gun?


Personally, I think a good enamel would be better.





Scuff sand the whole thing. Remove all loose paint. Feather edge any chips or dings. Wipe with laquer thinner or isopropyl alcohol. Prime any bare spots. Sand any primer. Paint with multiple thin coats.





Rattlecan paint jobs look ok with practice.


You shoulda seen the guy at the Weirs during bikeweek - a real artist.I am looking to paint a motorcycle frame. I am going to use DuPont high temp engine paint. low gloss black?
WHAT YOU NEED TO FIRST IS MAKE SURE YOU DEGREASE IT THEN THE EASIEST WAY TO SAND IT WOULD BE TO WETSAND IT WITH 320-500 GRIT SANDPAPER YOU CAN BUY IT ANYWHERE OR YOU CAN DO IT DRY BUT THE SANPAPER WILL CLOG AND WEAR FASTER THE CLEAN IT GOOD MAKE SURE EVERTHING IS DRY ,TAPE OFF AREAS THAT YOU DONT WANT TO PAINT .AND GO SPRAY
preperation is the most important thing. if you can have it media blasted first. then if you can ';powder coat'; it, or have it powder coated. it is more durable. you don't need hi-temp paint on the frame. if you do spray it yourself, be sure to use primer first.
I painted my frame and it didn't turn out right.





The next time I do it, I'll follow the instructions better.





Make sure you get the info for the paint that tells you how to mix it ect.





the finished product will likely need good polishing and even light sanding to bring out the shine.





My frame turned out great in some spots and sucked in others. Make sure you prepare the primer surface before you apply the paint. Ref. to the DuPont data for the paint etc.





the next time I do it, I'll get it bead blasted, use a nicer sprayer, and be ready to spend more time sanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website hosting